Sunday, May 17, 2015

Daniels Parole Hearing Part 3

In the course of the hearing the next section was Daniel's closing statement. As I mentioned he was given 10 minutes. I will give you only a highlight of this closing statement because I can't remember everything he said.

I know that during his closing statement he did mention his remorse. He also made a statement that said if he would have had a parole hearing after he'd been in prison for 5 years he would've said that the sentence was too long and unjust! This got everybody's attention. The commissioners heads came up from their papers.

I talked to Daniel yesterday morning (Saturday). He told me that he talked to the attorney afterwards and she was trying to kick him under the table at this time to cool it. This statement that Daniel made was the worst thing that you could do. Because your saying that the sentence he received was unfair. Even though I felt that it was way longer than other people have received for even murdering someone, I'm just telling you this is how they look at it, he got what the courts deemed fair and just.

He immediately followed up his statement that after being in prison for this period 17 years he's come to realize that he should of gotten a life sentence and that that would've been a just sentence and he got off easy.

This shows his change in values as to the gravity of his crime. We all want mercy and grace from other people. And he felt that he'd received a sentence less than what he deserved. This was actually great statement to make and it was heartfelt.

When I talked to Daniel yesterday he said that the attorney Diane, spoke to them after the hearing. By the way I was not allowed to speak to Daniel either during or after the hearing. Daniel told me that his attorney asked him, did you tell your dad to say the things that he said and he answered no. I will tell you what I said when I cover my closing statement.



The other thing Daniel told me yesterday is that his attorney told him afterwards that in all the years she's been doing this and she's done over 3600 parole hearings, nobody has talked as fast as Daniel. Then she told him that you need to go out on the "Yard" and tell everybody else to do the same thing. I mentioned to you that he was very sharp in his memory and his delivery and I believe that this is what she was referring to. Daniel did not hesitate on his responses.

But since I have some more time this morning before I need to prepare for church I will tell you the closing statement from the district attorney. The main thrust of the district attorney representative was that Daniel has had 2 infractions in the last 7 years and that shows that he's not a changed person. Even though Daniel has explained those 2 situations the district attorney representative was adamant that Daniel should serve out the rest of his time.

When I got home from my adventure on Friday I emailed Daniel's attorney and asked her if this was normal? I realize that the attorney is just doing his job. But do they always take the side that the person must serve out all of his time? I've not heard back from her and when I do I will let you know what she said. Because it was obvious from the preponderance of the evidence that Daniel was a different person now that he was 17 years ago. You had to be blind, deaf and dumb not to understand that he's a changed man and not a snotty nosed juvenile rebellious stiffnecked Gentile.

I realize I gave you a capsule-ated view of these closing statements. When I get the actual transcripts I will try and post those so that you can get the straight scoop.

It really is interesting to see how the justice system works. This is my 1st and only experience. I do want to mention again that we are deeply appreciated of of the overwhelming love and support from so many people! It's very touching! I will give the next blog post this coming Saturday. I will tell you what the attorney for Daniel said and if I have time I will do my closing statement. We will be on vacation and I need to make sure I am Considerate to Harriet and not spend too much time on the computer, if you get my drift.

Today is the Lord's day! I hope that you will take the time to go to the house the Lord and give thanks for all that he's given to you. My message this morning is: Giving Thanks Is a Choice.

Maranatha,
Frank and Harriet

No comments:

Post a Comment