Saturday, October 1, 2016

Sat. 10-1-16

Can we talk?  I have some good news and some bad news. I am going to rant about haircuts. By now you have seen that I am follically challenged. But, Harriet used to convince me that I need to get a haircut once a month, so at least things are trimmed up nicely.

So after Harriet died I thought I could stretch it out and get a haircut once every two months. Here is where the problem starts. I have a Vietnamese barber that has his barbershop approximately 1 mile from my house. I've been going to for many years and all of you know both men and women, that when you finally get your hairdresser trained to do your hair the way you wanted to, not too short, not too long, you hate to switch.

So, earlier in September, I stopped off at the barber shop, to get a haircut and there was a sign in the window that says that he will be closed until September 16 because of a water line break. Then I come back on the 17th and the sign has been changed to 26 September. Yes, you guessed it, I come back on the 27th and he's in his shop working doing a complete renovation. He  said it will be a few more weeks before he has completed his project. So that's why I look like the shaggy dog.

Now the good news. I want to thank everybody for your suggestions concerning baked potatoes. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, read last week's blog. I appreciate all the help. It seems that there is a number of ways to cook a baked potato. If you recall last week I said I'd look up to find out if there's a special machine for baking potatoes and guess what? Yes, there is. The one I was looking at gives you the ability to cook 80 potatoes at one time and you can keep 40 more potatoes in a warmer. No price was given, but I think that was way more than what I needed.

I received an email from my friend Victoria who I've known for about 30 years. She said that she cooks her baked potatoes and yes she likes the skin crispy like I do, for an hour and 15 minutes at 425°. You know how it is, it's one of those things you get the email of the exact time you're thinking about preparing for dinner. So I followed her directions.

I've documented my potato cooking. The 1st picture you can see that it's a small to medium size potato. Scrubbed clean.



I turned the potato every 20 minutes and yes I use a timer. When I took the potato out and plunged a fork into it, it went in really easy so I knew the potato was cooked.



  It turned out great, thank you everybody, for all your assistance.

This will be kind of a long blog post because I have so much new information. If you recall a few months ago I said that a couple of the little plants of Harriet's are dying. I kept forgetting to water them and we had some hot weather. So I decided to water every day and it seems that there's little green leaves starting to show up. But, we'll see in a few weeks if he gets even greener.




I was watching Blue Bloods, which is a TV program about a family of policemen in New York City. One of the main characters is Tom Selleck, who plays the police commissioner. In the program, I was watching, he is a widower. He was married for 40 years and the program episode takes place on Valentine's Day. He was commenting that he found a box that had all the old Valentine's Day cards that his wife was saving. I stopped the recording and I figured that Harriet would do the same thing. I went to her nightstand and in the bottom area, there was a shoebox. It had a lot of different cards in it, pictures and letters that were very important to her. I took some of the pictures out and scanned them so I will have some new pictures for this blog.

The 1st picture is of Harriet and our son Joseph taken on October 31, 2004. I'm sure glad that she wrote the dates on the back of the pictures. She always liked to have hardcopies that she could hold in her hand as opposed to viewing on the computer screen.

Today is Harriet's birthday.

 This next picture was taken in 2008. Our friend Pastor Mike Spees, came over to Hawaii while we were there. So he and I went on an Outrigger canoe ride. It's the best attraction in Hawaii. For about $10 a person, you get in the canoe and paddle out and catch a total of 3 waves and then come back in. Yes, and they do work you like a rented mule. You have to paddle hard to catch the waves. If I can remember I will try and include a link next week to an adventure that Pastor Mike and I had in Hawaii. The waves were so big on the South Shore that none of the canoes were going out. I finally talked to one of the captains into taking us out and he charged us $50 a person. No, Harriet did not go out. I will tell you more about it next week and I have a slide show and it will  show you the size of the waves. They were Bombora! By the way, I'm in the number 1 position in the front of the boat and pastor Mike is seated right behind me. I sent him a copy of this picture this week.
 I think that would be it for now. I hope that you all have a great weekend. The message I'm preaching on this Sunday morning is, "Jacob Wrestles with God". I hope that you'll be able to make it or you'll be in the house of the Lord that you regularly attend.

Maranatha,
Frank



No comments:

Post a Comment