Saturday, October 8, 2016

Sat. 10-8-16, 9/11 2001

I wanted to give you a little background on our 1st trip to Hawaii in 2001. We're supposed to fly to Hawaii on September 21, 2001. Of course, you all know what happened on 9/11. The terrorists attacked and brought down the twin towers in New York.

This was our 1st trip to Hawaii and I was going through a travel agent. What's a travel agent? Are there any travel agents around anymore? If there are, there can't be that many. Pretty much they are gone the way of the dinosaur. Our travel agent had scheduled us to fly from San Diego to San Francisco and then to Hawaii. I had contacted her and asked her why we don't just take a direct flight? Of course, there are the standard answers, which really were unacceptable. I canceled the flight that she had scheduled and rescheduled taking Hawaiian Airlines directly from San Diego to Honolulu. It cut off at least 3 hours from the flying time.

When we got to Hawaii it was deserted. Not really, it's just that a whole lot of people had canceled their vacations because of 9/11. I probably didn't mention it, but we were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary which would've been on September 4, 2001. I made hotel reservations at the Outrigger Hotel which is part of the Ohana chain of hotels. It's right on the beach in Waikiki and Duke's restaurant is on the ground floor of the hotel.

So when you look at this picture you will know that it was our 1st time and the picture is taken at Duke's restaurant. This is always been one of our favorites. It has the proverbial million-dollar view. You can see Diamondhead in the background.

Now I want to tell you about my shirt. We bought it at one of the 76 ABC stores in Honolulu. There seems to be an ABC store almost on any block and sometimes two on one block in Waikiki. This was not a terribly expensive shirt, but the reason I'm bringing this up is because I still have this shirt and will wear it today to Bible classes. What is amazing about it, it has retained its beautiful colors. That's what I find amazing!
We had a really nice time and we were able to go back to Hawaii many times.
I hope you have a wonderful day!
Maranatha,
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment