Friday, January 13, 2017

1-14-17 Hawaii

I meant to do some more blogs but have been so busy running around the island. I was working on putting together a video for our church, that will be played on Sunday morning. It's amazing how time-consuming making a short video really is and I have greater respect for people that make movies.

The bad news is that my friends Andy and Autumn did not make it to Hawaii today. They were supposed to leave San Diego at 10 AM on Hawaiian Airlines which is the same flight I took on Monday morning. At first it was delayed one hour and then they said 1 PM and then 2 PM and finally they canceled the. Very disappointing!

The first really big swell for 2017 came to the North Shore starting to build yesterday and it should reach 28+ feet by midnight tonight. Since I didn't pick up Andy and autumn from the airport this afternoon I drove up to the North Shore along with 10 million other people. Everybody wants to see the big waves not just the tourists but the locals also. I'm going to attach a couple of pictures. I took mostly videos in 4K resolution and they came out fantastic, but unfortunately I can't post those to this site. When I get around to editing and putting them together, I will post it to YouTube and then give you the link.

I must tell you that I've been surfing for 50 years and what I saw this afternoon as I first got to the beach was nothing short of amazing! The waves are so huge and powerful, they must be seen in person to be believed. My immediate thought was, I wouldn't go out in this even in my prime. When I was here with Harriet the last time in May/June 2014 they had a big swell come through the south shore and I surfed waves that were 10 to 12 feet, but they pale in comparison to the ferocity of these waves.

The first picture is of the lineup and you really can't tell the size of the waves until a set rolls through and there's a person actually taking off on a wave. They are minuscule compared to the size of the wave. The next picture with the palm trees is a sunset earlier this week from my hotel room on the South Shore.

 To be perfectly candid with you I still miss my girl. Everywhere I go, there are memories of our trips to different areas including the North Shore, Dole plantation and the list goes on.




Maranatha,
Frank


No comments:

Post a Comment